Saturday, August 16, 2008

Morvahna: Pomegranate Inspired

Based on the narrative I wrote last year about Kaya's battle against the skorne and her relationship (a bit) with Morvahna, and given my personal desire to paint more, I'm looking for inspiration for the high lady of Orboros.

How can I work the pomegranate imagery of my story into my paint scheme for Morvi? If you have any suggestions, please include how I'd achieve the effect. So far, I'm thinking her cloak will be a deep red/pomegranate color, the color of the seeds.

Here's a good photo reference, but I'm struggling on how to achieve these colors. What would you start with and how would you shade/highlight? And here's one with more high and low lights.

(I know this post is kinda scattered, but it's an accurate portrayal of my creative process.)

EDIT: Quickly playing around with my available paints, I found that VGC Gory Red mixed with VGC Hexed Lichen, in a 5:1 ratio, resulted in the base color I'm looking for. I think adding a smidgen of VGC Imperial Purple might result in a good shading color. But the reference photos show a strange fleshy highlight color. Maybe I'll play with VMC Beige Red for a highlight mix (an almost identical color to P3 Midlund Flesh), followed by some glazes of red ink. That might work in light of the "painting gems" tutorial in NQ #16. Any thoughts?

No comments: