Friday, May 9, 2008

Circle Orboros Color Scheme

First off, I'm 99% done with all my assembly and priming. All I need to do is finish up my Troll Long Riders. Four more to go and then they can all get the can. The primer can, that is.

Meanwhile, the title says it all. I'm trying to come up with a unifying color scheme for my Circle forces.
  1. Light beasts - see Speed Painting Nephilim Soldier article in NQ#18
  2. Dark beasts - P3 Thamar Black; h: P3 Coal Black & VMC Cork Brown.
  3. Fur - Take the scheme for the skin and lighten it. Brush onto fur. (See Circle entry in Evolution)
  4. Wolds/Shifting & Sentry stones - warm greys, blue runes
  5. Armor - *see below
  6. Human skin tones - normal warm tones (see Escalation for good tutorial)
  7. Tharn skin tones - something paler, almost sickly or bluish; base 50/50 RMS Tanned Flesh and RMS Grey Liner, with progressively more flesh tone.
  8. Clothing - VMC Black h: VMC Black Grey w/ Cryx Bane Highlight? mixed in.
  9. Leathers - VMC German Uniform Brown, w: GW brown ink & P3 Thamar Black, h: Trollblood Highlight
  10. Teeth and claws - GW Snakebite leather; h: VMC tan and VGC bone white
Looks like a good start. I'm sure I'll modify it as I go. I'm considering finishing the Warpwolf to fine tune the leathers and armor and then starting the Pureblood using the Speed Painting article from NQ#18. This shouldn't be so hard; I can make more progress without being so obsessive. Bases can be pretty standard, but with a mix of dead and green leaves + slushy snow!

Let's see if this actually pans out.

Ok, I painted more on the WarpWolf. *Armor findings.
  • VMC Bronze + a little P3 Thamar Black
  • Add in VGC Oiled Steel for highlights
  • Add in RMS Honed Steel and dry brush
  • Dry brush straight RMS Honed Steel
  • Very watery wash of Black Ghost Wash
  • Dry brush/highlight with RMS Honed Steel
The effect is like deep bronze with silvery highlights where the edges have been worn and buffed from use. Looks nice! I tried to fill in the recessed spaces with blue to tie in with my Wolds/Stones, but I hated it. Took it out. I like the effect I have, and it creates a more monotone look to the model. The only blue then will be the runes on the Wolds/Stones. Nice!

Accidental techniques are awesome! I've been trying to find a way to paint the inside of beasts' mouths realistically. I think I found an easy way that works.
  • Coat inside with VGC Dark Fleshtone. Leave black areas between inside of teeth and tongue, etc.
  • Add in a little VMC Beige Red and highlight/re-coat.
  • Lightly wash top of mouth and edges of tongue with Black Ghost Wash.
  • P3 Thamer Black to clean up the borders.
Voila! Instant cool! Wow, I'm on a roll... the teeth are looking good too, with just GW Snakebite Leather dry brushed on.

Go, me!

----------------
Now playing: "Intergalactic" by Beastie Boys

No comments: