Saturday, May 24, 2008

WoldWatcher frustration

Well, I tried and failed to use my standard stone wash. I obsessed over the wood and ropes. I screwed up the stone. I worked and worked.

Finally, I gave up. Using VMC Black Grey, P3 Ironhull Grey, P3 Cryx Bane Base, and P3 Cryx Bane Highlight - and a bunch of transport foam left-overs - I sponge painted him. He looks okay. I'm just happy he's done. And he's very dark now; matching my scheme nicely. I think I'll paint one of my WoldWardens to match him, and the other one to match my Shifting Stones. So I'll have straight gray and splotchy gray constructs. Also, I think splotchy will go with turquoise, and a truer blue with truer gray.

For the record, the wood was GW Scorched Brown with a P3 Armor Wash/GW Scorched Brown wash, and then rehighlighted. The ropes were then picked out with VGC Earth and a light VGC Khaki highlight here and there. The ropes were washed with GW Scorched Brown, too.

My pride and joy, however, is the turquoise gem on his forehead. I've never tried this method of making reflective jewels before, but it seemed straightforward enough. And voila, it worked!

The basing is done; the slush is drying on him now. He'll be ready for the camera tomorrow.

EDIT: I remember now why I like to start with gloss coat and then dull coat. The straight doll cote likes to react with the matte medium in my washes and turn white in areas with a lot of wash. When I use gloss coat first, this doesn't happen. I've spent an hour black-lining this PITA model. Hopefully, I've got it all now. So, from now on, gloss first, then dull coat.

As promised... pictures...




































































And a close up of the gem I'm so proud of...







----------------
Now playing: "Heartbeats" by The Knife

No comments: