Sunday, June 3, 2012

En Masse Orboros Constructs WIPs

So, I've pushed forward with my new scheme for my Baldur2 list. This time out, I've decided to paint all the unpainted constructs in my list at once - that's right a Woldwatcher, a Wold Guardian, Megalith, and the Fulcrum! All in one fell swoop!

Two things to point out - I'd like to thank PG_bulldog (of Muse on Minis and the Four Horsemen fame) for inspiring me to start painting my first 120mm based model. He paid me a terrific compliment when I complimented him on his painted Fulcrum. He said mine will look a lot better than his... if I just painted it. Compliment on my painting skills + shame for fielding primed models all the time = En Masse Orboros Constructs (TM)!

Second thing, I've deviated from my Wold scheme from 2008, stream-lining the process, adding in the trick my friend Ray told me about in my last post, and going for an overall brighter scheme. Here's the process I used for the stone work across all four models:

  • Prime black
  • Heavy dry brushing/almost wet brushing of VMC Black Grey
  • Slightly drier brushing of P3 Ironhull Grey
  • Even drier brushing of P3 Cryx Bane Highlight* 
  • Even drier brushing, used to highlight, of Apple Barrel Country Grey**
  • Wash entire model with a light layer of Badab Black***
  • Touch up, zenith dry brushing with Apple Barrel Country Grey
  • Final dry brushed layers for highlighting and glow with VGC Dead Flesh

*Careful readers will notice I skipped the P3 Cryx Bane Base. I felt the color variation was too subtle from the previous step and didn't add much to the process when I did it on my rock wall. 

**Yes, I used a craft paint. Sue me! I lost my P3 Trollblood Highlight somehow in my recent move. Can't find it anywhere. This craft color was purchased to match P3TH as closely as possible for terrain work. Did well!

***This layer helped reclaim any obscured detail in the runes. 

As I move forward, I'll follow the Forces of Hordes: Circle Orboros guide for painting the Fulcrum's wood and metal bits, though I'll adopt it to my own guides for painting woods on Wolds and metals on Morvahna and my Wolves of Orboros. Finally the gems and such will follow my usual color scheme of turquoise as seen on my first Woldwatcher from FOUR years ago... Wow, I'm a slacker! Incidentally, I love how much BRIGHTER these are then my old constructs. It's tempting to go and redo my old models. But no turning back; I keep pushing forward. Progress > obsessing. To me, these look charged up... glowing from within. And the turquoise gems and basing will tie them to the old models just fine.

Anyway, without further ado... some WIP pics...


Group shot! Click pics to enlarge!


The Woldwatcher. He's got the first layer done on his wood sections.


Guardian. Also with woods started; see there on the far arm! 


Meggy is defendin' that flower pot! 


First huge-based model to receive paint. I'm so proud! Also note, I had considered leaving the Druids off the Fulcrum for some time. I really wrestled back and forth with the idea, esp. since I somehow messed up the assembly and one Druid wouldn't fit on the base (the one rock spire in the right foreground in the above pic is too close to the Fulcrum to fit the Druid model - I was going to pin him on facing outward, but I like the idea that it's a self-energized model without mortal controllers - beyond my Warlock, of course). Also, seeing PG_bulldog's without the Druids sealed the deal for me. So I brown-stuffed over all the foot holes and pushed on.

So, I'll continue painting as I have time. Hopefully tonight. This represents about five hours of work, which seems pretty good to me. I'm happy with them so far, and think they'll only improve as I add more depth, detail, and color to them.

Tell me what you think!

No comments: